Friday, September 6, 2013

September 6: National Read A Book Day

I've been wanting to a post on books since I've had a short break from the last 2 months of treatment. My word, they were hard! I couldn't have done it without my family who really kept me going when I really wanted to quit. Thankfully the doctor has pulled back my treatment so that it will take longer but not be so harsh. I am so thankful for that! I'm working on detoxing and regaining energy, but neither of them are easy. My animals are the perfect diversion-especially the chickens. Annie the dog and Obi-Wan the cat will take a nap with me, but Jasper the crazy kitty just gets into everything possible and then I get tired from chasing him around. Poor thing doesn't come in a lot because of that, but I don't think he has put 2 and 2 together. Jasper has a habit of eating things he's not supposed to (like shower curtains and fabric)so we have to be super alert when he's in. Craziness!!!

On to my favorite topic... Books! I really have a problem with acquiring books, but at least I do buy them at thrift stores and antique shops where they are 50 cents to $1.50. I have a ridiculous amount of books in the living room, and no, none of them are on a book shelf. Here they are in no particular order:

A NEW SELECTED POEMS by Galway Kinnell
 "STAND BACK," SAID THE ELEPHANT, "I'M GOING TO SNEEZE!" by Patricia Thomas 
LITTLE TOOT by Hardie Gramatky
Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
The Fabric & Yarn Dyer's Handbook by Tracy Kendall
THE FEDERALIST PAPERS by Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, and James Madison -edited by Richard Beeman
ESSAYS Old and New -edited by Robert U. Jameson
STORM OF SWORDS by George R.R. Martin
PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN by James Joyce
LINCOLN SPEECHES edited by Richard Beeman
BARNES'S PRIMARY HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES from the AMERICAN BOOK COMPANY
THE SOUND AND THE FURY/AS I LAY DYING by William Faulkner
HALF BROKE HORSES by Jeannette Walls
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE by Dee Brown
KNOW YOUR CHICKENS by Jack Byard
Southwestern Pottery: Anasazi to Zuni by Allan Hayes and John Blom
Storey's Guide to RAISING CHICKENS by Gail Damerow
my Bible
CAST of CHARACTERS by Max Lucado
THE HEAVENLY MAN: the remarkable true story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun -with Paul Hattaway OF MICE AND MEN by John Steinbeck
ENDER'S GAME by Orson Scott Card
THE EARTH MOVED: On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms by Amy Stewart
another Bible
Jesus Today by Sarah Young
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
FARM CITY: THE EDUCATION OF AN URBAN FARMER by Novella Carpenter
Bound Feet and Western Dress by Pang-Mei Natasha Chang
CHERRY AMES CLINIC NURSE by Julie Tatham
CHERRY AMES AT SPENCER by Julie Tatham
CHERRY AMES SENIOR NURSE by Helen Wells
and... and an untold amount of chicken magazines.

35+ books on my living room floor.
I have a SERIOUS, SERIOUS problem.
I'm currently reading 8 of them.
Oh.My.Word.

1 comment:

Jenelle Leanne said...

I'm not sure I understand why you call this a "problem" ;) Sounds pretty normal to me... though most of my books are on shelves... most... but I have fabulous bookshelves, so that's part of the reason. :)